More than 85,000 Texas families have enrolled in the state's new education savings account program, and the first demographic snapshot shows white students make up the largest share of participants despite representing less than a quarter of the state's public school enrollment.

The Texas Comptroller's Office reported Monday that 85,344 families had accepted invitations to participate in the program as of July 29. The figures are preliminary and could change as additional families accept or decline invitations over the coming weeks.

About 41% of participating students are white, compared with 24% of students enrolled in Texas public schools. Hispanic students account for 28% of recipients, even though they make up 53% of the state's public school population. Black students represent 14% of participants, closely matching their 13% share of public school enrollment.

The report also suggests the program is reaching many lower-income families, a key promise made by Republican lawmakers during last year's debate over Senate Bill 2.

Roughly 68,000 participating students come from low-income households, while another 17,300 come from low-to-middle-income families. Fewer than 30 students enrolled so far come from families in the program's highest income tier, which lawmakers capped at $200 million of the program's $1 billion budget.

Students with disabilities make up about 24% of participants. They were given the highest priority during the application process and can receive up to $30,000 annually through the program, though fewer than 30 students received the maximum award. Families sending children to private schools receive about $10,500 per student each year, while homeschooling families can receive up to $2,000. The average award currently ranges between $7,500 and $8,000.

The report does not answer one of the biggest questions surrounding the new program: how many participating students previously attended public schools. Earlier state data showed that 57% of families initially offered admission already had children enrolled in private schools or were homeschooling.

That means it remains unclear how many students are leaving public schools to use the new vouchers, a central issue throughout last year's legislative debate.

Enrollment also appears to be concentrated in Texas' largest metropolitan areas. The highest numbers of participating families live within the attendance boundaries of Houston ISD, Dallas ISD and Northside ISD in the San Antonio area.

"No Texas child should be trapped in a failing school or forced to attend a school that is unable to provide the services they need to address disabilities such as dyslexia, dysgraphia or auditory processing disorders," newly appointed Comptroller Don Huffines said in a statement. "I am committed to improving and growing this program so every Texas child can have the opportunity to reach their dreams."

Democrats argue the early numbers reinforce concerns they raised when lawmakers approved the voucher program.

State Sen. Sarah Eckhardt, an Austin Democrat who is challenging Huffines in November, said the report "proves this program is a billion-dollar handout to exclusive private schools concentrated in big cities, while public schools across the state are underfunded and closing at an alarming rate."

The enrollment totals remain in flux. More than 122,000 families received invitations to participate, while another 121,000 students remain on a waitlist. State officials expect to release more complete enrollment figures in early September after additional families make their decisions and waitlisted applicants receive offers.