The death toll following the Surfside, Fla., condominium collapse has increased to 16 people, local officials confirmed Wednesday.
Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava stated during a press conference Wednesday that four more people have been confirmed dead, bringing the total count to 16. The mayor added that 12 next-of-kin notifications have been completed so far.
Cava said that 139 people are accounted for and 147 are still unaccounted for, excluding the number of deaths.
On Tuesday, local officials reported that the death toll stood at 12 people.
The deaths occurred after part of the the condo building in the Miami area collapsed, leaving first responders to search through piles of rubble and dust.
Last week, Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) issued a state of emergency, making it easier for state and federal resources to be provided for rescue aid.
Though search efforts are ongoing, weather conditions have already begun to temporarily delay the search-and-rescue operation.
“The weather has continued unfortunately [to be] inclement, causing definitely some challenges. But [rescuers] have continued, they have persisted,” Cava said at the press conference.
During the briefing, Cava also signaled her support for a grand jury investigation after Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said Tuesday she would request one.
A 30-day audit is underway of all buildings that are at least five stories and 40 years old.