In response to a recent request from Amarillo Mayor Ginger Nelson, officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are in Amarillo aiding with the city’s response to COVID-19.
The CDC’s primary focus in this effort is to assess and provide recommendations to the meatpacking plant industry in the Texas Panhandle related to COVID-19. The meatpacking plant industry is the location of COVID-19 “hot spots” in the Texas Panhandle area.
The CDC will be implementing similar strategies developed in addressing the meatpacking plant industry in Colorado. About 41 percent of COVID-19 positive tests reported to the Amarillo Public Health Department are related to the meatpacking plant industry.
Today we are joined by:
- Mayor Ginger Nelson, City of Amarillo
- City Manager Jared Miller, City of Amarillo
- Dr. Scott Milton, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center at Amarillo Authority/Associate Professor
- Dr. Brian Weis, Northwest Texas Healthcare System, Chief Medical Officer
- Dr. Michael Lamanteer, BSA Health System Chief Medical Officer
- Dr. Sameh Moawad, Amarillo VA Health Care System Chief of Staff and Active Director