Skip to main content

'Totally untrue': Trump pushes back on claim that he asked Barr to clear him on Ukraine


President Trump early Thursday pushed back on a report that he asked Attorney General William Barr to hold a news conference clearing him of wrongdoing in the Ukraine controversy that sparked an impeachment inquiry, calling the article “totally untrue.”

“The story in the Amazon Washington Post, of course picked up by Fake News CNN, saying ‘President Trump asked for AG Barr to host a news conference clearing him on Ukraine,’ is totally untrue and just another FAKE NEWS story with anonymous sources that don’t exist,” he tweeted.

In a fourth tweet hours later, he called the reporting a "Fake Washington Post con job with an 'anonymous' source that doesn’t exist."

"Just read the Transcript," he said, before arguing that "we don’t have freedom of the press!"

The Washington Post reported late Wednesday that Trump wanted Barr to state publicly that the president had broken no laws in his July 25 phone call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky. The request came in late September, around the time when the White House released a partial transcript of the leaders' discussion, according to the newspaper.

Barr reportedly declined, though his Department of Justice (DOJ) did eventually release a statement claiming that a readout of the call — during which Trump pushed Zelensky to launch an investigation into former Vice President Joe Biden — did not contain any campaign finance violations.

Sources within the administration told the Post that Trump has brought up Barr's refusal to host a news conference regarding the controversy, although a senior official said that the episode has not caused any friction between the two.

"The DOJ did in fact release a statement about the call, and the claim that it resulted in tension because it wasn’t a news conference is completely false," the official said.

The Post noted in its report that it remains unclear why Barr elected not to hold a news conference. In April, the attorney general held a news conference ahead of the release of former special counsel Robert Mueller's report on his probe into Russian interference and possible obstruction of justice by Trump. He used the press briefing to lay out the principle findings of the report, such as Mueller's conclusion that there wasn't sufficient evidence of a conspiracy between the Trump campaign and Russia.

“As [Trump] said from the beginning,” Barr said. “There was in fact no collusion.”

The New York Times later confirmed the Post's new reporting, which included an on-the-record comment from a White House press aide.

“The Post fully stands behind its story and its reporters, who are among the finest journalists anywhere," Washington Post executive editor Marty Baron said in a statement on Thursday. "The president continues to make false accusations against news organizations and individual journalists. Despite his repugnant attempt to intimidate and harass The Post and its staff, we will continue to do the work that democracy demands of a free and independent press.”

House Democrats in September launched an impeachment inquiry centered around a government whistleblower complaint that accuses Trump of pushing Ukraine to investigate Biden, who is running for president, and his son Hunter Biden over unfounded allegations of corruption. The complaint is largely based on Trump's July 25 phone conversation with Zelensky.

A White House memorandum of the call confirms several aspects of the complaint, including Trump's request that Zelensky work with his personal attorney Rudy Giuliani and Barr to investigate the Biden family.

Multiple House committees have heard from numerous former and current administration officials as part of the investigation. Earlier this week, the House released a transcript of testimony from Gordon Sondland, the U.S. ambassador to the European Union, in which he acknowledged that Trump's dealings with Ukrainian officials amounted to a quid pro quo.

Trump has repeatedly dismissed allegations of wrongdoing, often describing his July 25 discussion with Zelensky as "perfect."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First confirmed case of COVID-19 in Canyon

The Amarillo Area Public Health has confirmed 1 case of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Canyon.

"Due to sensitive information we are not able to share details regarding this case," the city said in a statement.

On Monday, Canyon Mayor Gary Hinders hosted a Facebook Live giving details of Canyon’s response to COVID-19 Status Level Red, which is aligned with the City of Amarillo and new Amarillo Public Health guidance.

Effective immediately, Amarillo Public Health has updated its coronavirus (COVID-19) Level to RED. This is the highest alert level, indicating there are widespread confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Amarillo and the surrounding area.

Hinders issued stay at home guidelines, that went into effect tonight, (March 30) at 11:59 pm and will be in place at least through Monday, April 13, 2020.

"We ask that residents stay at home except for outings essential to their own health, safety, and welfare and that of their family members," the city said.

Under these guideline…

Grocery stores impacted by COVID-19 outbreak

With the continued spread of COVID-19, many grocery stores throughout the area have been facing changes in operations as well as economic impacts.

Nancy Sharp, manager of communications and community engagement for the United “family,” which includes all Llano Logistics, RC Taylor, United Express, Amigos, Market Street and United Supermarkets, said COVID-19 has many people doing some fear-driven, panic-type buying, causing a significant increase in traffic in stores and people purchasing items.

The closure of dining establishments has also impacted sales as more people are cooking at home, which Sharp said has provided an increase to grocery stores across the country. The increase in traffic has also increased the amount of people who are working in the stores and the need for additional cleaning.

“We are cleaning multiple times a day, multiple surfaces. And so that has definitely increased the number,” Sharp said. “We're restocking several times a day; that also has increased th…

White House projects between 100,000 and 240,000 American deaths from coronavirus

President Trump's top health advisers said Tuesday that models show between 100,000 and 240,000 Americans could die from the novel coronavirus even if the country keeps stringent social distancing guidelines in place.

Without any measures to mitigate the disease's spread, those projections jump to between 1.5 and 2.2 million deaths from COVID-19.

The models, which were displayed at a White House press briefing Tuesday, underpinned Trump's decision to extend social distancing guidelines to the end of April.

Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus task force coordinator, explained the data, urging the public to steel for difficult weeks ahead while expressing hope that the efforts would reduce the spread of the coronavirus. 

“There’s no magic bullet, there’s no magic vaccine or therapy. It’s just behaviors,” Birx said, adding that it would be those behaviors that could change “the course of the viral pandemic.”

Second COVID-19 case confirmed in Canyon

The Amarillo Area Public Health has confirmed a second positive case of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Canyon. Due to sensitive information the City of Canyon is not provided details on any cases.

Last week, Mayor Gary Hinders hosted a Facebook Live giving details of Canyon’s response to COVID-19 Status Level Red, which is aligned with the City of Amarillo and new Amarillo Public Health guidance.

Effective immediately, Amarillo Public Health has updated its coronavirus (COVID-19) Level to RED. This is the highest alert level, indicating there are widespread confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Amarillo and the surrounding area.

Hinders issued stay at home guidelines, that went into effect March 30 at 11:59 pm and will be in place at least through Monday, April 13, 2020.

"We ask that residents stay at home except for outings essential to their own health, safety, and welfare and that of their family members," the city said.

Under these guidelines, all businesses, except those essenti…

First COVID-19 death in Lubbock: City confirms 10 additional cases

The City of Lubbock confirmed its first COVID-19 related death in a news release on Saturday. The individual was a male in his 60s who had underlying health conditions and was a resident of Lubbock, according to the release.

As of 5 p.m. on Saturday, the City of Lubbock has confirmed 10 additional cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases in Lubbock County to 41, according to the release.

The Texas Department of State Health Services has reported additional cases of COVID-19 in the surrounding areas to Lubbock County, including seven in Hockley County, one in Terry County, one in Gaines County, one in Hale County and one in Yoakum County, according to the release.

The City of Lubbock Health Department will continue monitoring individuals to reduce the risk of the transmission of COVID-19, according to the release.