Skip to main content

Trump floats his own club as potential location for next G7

President Trump stepped into another controversy of his own making Monday by suggesting the U.S. could host world leaders at his golf resort outside Miami for next year's Group of Seven (G-7) summit.


If Trump were to make his resort the meeting venue, his critics argue it would be another clear violation of the Constitution’s Emoluments Clause, which prohibits presidents from accepting payments from foreign countries, U.S. states or the federal government.

“This is a president who has converted the presidency into an instrument of enrichment from day one. There is simply no line between what is official government business and what is a private money-making enterprise — it is all one big venture,” Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.), a House Judiciary Committee member and former constitutional law professor, said Monday.

“If he decides to hold the G-7 meeting in 2020 at Trump National Doral Golf [Club], this would be a perfect violation of the foreign and domestic emoluments clauses,” Raskin added. “This is precisely what the framers of the Constitution opposed.”

Other legal experts and Democrats also raised objections.

Laurence Tribe, a Harvard Law School professor, tweeted that Trump’s pitch was “Emolumentally clear! Trump keeps proving that he is deliberately violating the Constitution’s main safeguard against financial corruption and compromise of presidential decisions by foreign powers.”

Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), a former state attorney general, called it a “textbook example of putting personal profit over public good.”

And Sen. Ron Wyden (Ore.), the top Democrat on the Senate Finance Committee, said Trump holding the G-7 summit at his resort in Doral, Fla., “would be one of the most egregious examples of corruption and self-dealing in a presidency replete with them.”

“Trump is using the office to line his own pockets at the expense of the American people and our standing in the world,” Wyden said in a statement. “Requiring our allies to spend money at the president’s hotel to attend the G7 would be an insult to them and a violation of our Constitution’s emoluments clause.”

Wyden called on the Treasury Department, which helps organize the annual gathering of global leaders, to block the summit from being held at Doral.

Trump kicked off the emoluments flap during a bilateral meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel on the final day of the G-7 summit in Biarritz, France, telling reporters that administration officials "haven't found anything that's even close to competing with" his Doral resort.

He later defended the suggestion, saying that the presidency has cost him $3 billion to $5 billion in lost revenue — a figure that could not be verified.

Trump said he "couldn't care less" about making money.

"The only thing I care about is this country," he added.

Trump’s proposal to hold the annual event at his 800-acre resort marked the latest skirmish in a long-running political and legal battle between the president and congressional Democrats over whether Trump can conduct official business or have foreign governments spend money at his hotels and golf resorts.

He’s come under fire from Democrats for hosting leaders, including President Xi Jinping of China, at his other Florida property, Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach. And he has been fending off multiple lawsuits alleging he is illegally making money from his luxury hotel just blocks from the White House.

Trump International Hotel in Washington has received tens of thousands of dollars from Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and other foreign governments, which have reserved blocks of hotel rooms. The hotel, along Pennsylvania Avenue, also has become a popular venue for GOP fundraisers.

But so far, Democratic efforts to penalize or stop Trump have largely failed. A federal appeals court last month tossed out a lawsuit by attorneys general for Maryland and D.C. challenging Trump’s ownership of the hotel; the court ruled that the attorneys general don’t have standing to bring the case.

A separate suit against Trump by House Democrats is working its way through the courts. But Raskin wants the House to vote this fall on a resolution he authored that disapproves of every foreign emolument Trump has received since taking office. Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has not committed to bringing Raskin’s resolution to the floor for a vote.

“The entire Democratic Caucus, including the Speaker, is opposed to the lawlessness of the president in taking foreign-government emoluments and not coming to Congress for our approval,” said Raskin, a member of Pelosi’s leadership team. “This is an untenable situation.”

House Democrats have tried other approaches to block Trump. They passed multiple annual spending bills with amendments tacked on to prohibit certain federal agencies from using taxpayer dollars at Trump businesses around the world.

But the authors of the amendments, Raskin and Rep. Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.), are unlikely to get their proposals through the GOP-controlled Senate. House GOP lawmakers opposed to the amendments argue that prohibiting spending at Trump businesses could jeopardize security for officials or dignitaries who attend summits at Trump properties.

Despite the Democratic outrage, there are some observers who believe the site of the 2020 G-7 meeting — in the heat of a presidential campaign — won’t be at the Doral resort.

“I would not bet my house that it’s going to be at that country club,” said Jon B. Alterman, the Zbigniew Brzezinski chair in Global Security and Geostrategy and director of the Middle East Program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington-based think tank. “I could see a combination of congressional concern and public criticism leading to a more open process that leads to a different outcome.”

"I would bet that when all the dust clears, people will say that’s just too close," he added.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First COVID-19 death in Lubbock: City confirms 10 additional cases

The City of Lubbock confirmed its first COVID-19 related death in a news release on Saturday. The individual was a male in his 60s who had underlying health conditions and was a resident of Lubbock, according to the release.

As of 5 p.m. on Saturday, the City of Lubbock has confirmed 10 additional cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases in Lubbock County to 41, according to the release.

The Texas Department of State Health Services has reported additional cases of COVID-19 in the surrounding areas to Lubbock County, including seven in Hockley County, one in Terry County, one in Gaines County, one in Hale County and one in Yoakum County, according to the release.

The City of Lubbock Health Department will continue monitoring individuals to reduce the risk of the transmission of COVID-19, according to the release.

Lubbock County now has 31 confirmed COVID-19 cases

Officials with the City addressed issues surrounding the COVID-19 cases confirmed at Whisperwood Nursing & Rehabilitation Center during a news conference Friday evening.

Katherine Wells, director of the Lubbock Health Department, said there were a total of 31 COVID-19 cases in Lubbock County as of 4 p.m. Friday.

"The health department received eight positive test results with Lubbock County residents today, so that was a big increase," she said. "It was the largest number of positive results we received in a one-day time period."

Out of the eight cases confirmed Friday, the investigation is still ongoing for one case, one individual got the virus while traveling domestically and the other six cases were exposed to other known cases, according to the City of Lubbock.

The individual with the ongoing investigation is 20 to 22-years old, the domestic travel case is 10 to 19-years-old and the other six cases consist of two individuals that are 30 to 39, two that ar…

Basketball tournament may have contributed to the spread of COVID-19 in the region

Hockley County Judge Sharla Baldridge has confirmed that a report from the Texas Department of Health Services states that a March 7 high school regional basketball tournament at South Plains College may be a contributing factor to the spread of COVID-19 in the region.

"According to the Texas Department of State Health Services they have been able to identify a possible common event with some of the confirmed cases in our region who attended an event in Levelland on March 7th, said event being a regional boys basketball tournament held at South Plains College. At this time this event does not seem to be a common attribute in any of Hockley County’s confirmed cases.

"The Health Department will continue their investigations in our Hockley County cases and I will share any pertinent information that I can share with the public, as I receive it.

"With much appreciated assistance from Congressman Jodey Arrington via a conference call on March 24th , I am now able to obtain …

Two more confirmed COVID-19 cases in Potter County: 20 total cases in Panhandle area

The Amarillo Public Health Department’s COVID-19 daily report card released on Saturday, revealed two more confirmed cases in Potter County. There are now 20 cases of COVID-19 in the Texas Panhandle:

Swisher County: 1

Potter County: 4

Randall County: 3

Castro County: 8

Deaf Smith County: 2

Oldham County: 2

Ten thousand coronavirus deaths in Italy

On March 7, the coronavirus death toll in Italy was 233. As of March 28, Italy’s coronavirus death toll was 10,023.

Some skeptics of “social distancing” have suggested that if most Americans had generally carried on with life as usual, the coronavirus would not present any greater threat than the seasonal flu or car crashes, each of which kill about 40,000 Americans a year. The fact that 10,000 people have died from the coronavirus in three weeks in Italy — a country with one-fifth the population of the United States — should dispel such wishful thinking.

And keep in mind that this is the death toll in Italy weeks after lockdowns were imposed — first within the region of Lombardy on February 21 (affecting only about 50,000 people) and then on March 9 for the entire country.

The spike in the daily death toll in Italy — a record 919 coronavirus deaths were recorded on March 27 alone — does not mean that the national lockdown is not working.

There is an average five-day delay between in…