Skip to main content

Iran's spy claims raise tensions with United States


President Trump’s challenges with Iran mounted on Monday after Tehran claimed to detain more than a dozen citizens it alleged are CIA spies.

Regional experts said Monday that it’s hard to gauge the credibility of Iran’s announcement.

Regardless, they added, Iran’s flexing of its security apparatus represents the latest in a back-and-forth of escalating U.S.-Iran tensions, coming on the heels of Iran’s seizure of a British-flagged oil tanker.

And while Trump has intermittently expressed a desire to talk with Iran, on Monday he indicated his window is narrowing.

“If they want to make a deal, frankly it’s getting harder for me to want to make a deal with Iran because they’ve behaved very badly,” Trump told reporters Monday afternoon at the White House. “They're saying bad things, and I'll tell you it could go either way, very easily. Very easily. And I'm OK either way it goes.”

U.S.-Iran tensions have been increasing since Trump withdrew from the 2015 nuclear deal last year, but spiked considerably in May as Trump further tightened sanctions and the United States deployed more forces to the region to respond to unspecified Iranian threats.

Since then, the tit-for-tat has seen Iran shoot down a U.S. drone, Trump come within minutes of launching a military strike on Iran, the U.S. military downing an Iranian drone and attacks on oil tankers near the Gulf that the United States has blamed on Iran, among other incidents.

On Monday, Iran's Intelligence Ministry announced the arrests of 17 Iranian citizens, alleging they had been recruited by the CIA to collect information on the facilities where they worked in exchange for U.S. visas or jobs in America.

Iranian officials said some of the 17 have already been sentenced to death, without specifying how many. Others, they said, have flipped and are now working with Iran against America.

U.S. officials dismissed Iran’s announcement as a lie. On Twitter, Trump called Iran’s allegation “totally false,” adding that it was “just more lies and propaganda” from a country that is “a total mess!”

In an interview on Fox News, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo declined to discuss specifics of the situation, but similarly called out Iran’s “long history of lying.”

“It’s part of the nature of the ayatollah to lie to the world,” Pompeo said on “Fox and Friends.” “I would take with a significant grain of salt any Iranian assertion about actions that they’ve taken.”

It is not uncommon for Iran to announce that it has busted a foreign spy ring every few months or years, said Ali Vaez, Iran project director at the International Crisis Group.

In April, for example, Iran claimed to have identified 290 U.S. spies around the world.

But the timing of Monday’s announcement indicates it’s part of Iran’s response to the ongoing tit-for-tat with the United States, he added.

“The Iranians see themselves under siege,” Vaez said. “They don’t perceive just an economic warfare being waged against them by the Trump administration. They see multidimensional conflict, which has different elements, information warfare, covert operations. And as such, for a government that even on a good day is quite paranoid, it is not entirely unexpected for them to have the perception that there are really people out there to get them.”

Fitting into the continuum of the months-long U.S.-Iran face-off is also Iran’s Friday seizure of a British-flagged oil tanker.

The Britain-Iran tanker showdown started in early July when the Iranian-flagged Grace 1 was detained off the coast of the British-territory Gibraltar over allegations it was smuggling oil to Syria in violation of European Union sanctions.

Iranian forces unsuccessfully tried to board a British tanker in mid-July. On Friday, the Stena Impero was transiting the Strait of Hormuz when it was boarded by Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps forces and redirected toward Iran.

The Strait of Hormuz is a strategic chokepoint through which a fifth of the world’s oil travels.

A British frigate that was nearby Friday tried to warn Iran off, but was unable to reach the tanker in time.

Iran alleges the Impero was violating international law, while the United Kingdom has accused Iran of an “act of state piracy.”

Asked Monday about the U.S. role in securing the Impero’s release, Pompeo said it “falls to the United Kingdom to take care of their ships.”

But the United States over the past few weeks has been trying to convince allies to join a military coalition to protect vessels transiting the Gulf region. Dubbed Operation Sentinel, the plan would see U.S. allies escorting ships sailing through the Persian Gulf, the Strait of Hormuz and the Gulf of Oman, while the U.S. military would act in a support role.

No allies, though, have announced they are joining the Operation Sentinel effort.

Britain announced its own plan Monday to form a European-led maritime security initiative.

In an address to Parliament, British Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said the effort would “complement” the U.S. plan, but that “it will not be part of the U.S. maximum pressure policy on Iran because we remain committed to preserving the Iran nuclear agreement.”

“If Iran continues on this dangerous path, they must accept the price will be a larger Western military presence in the waters along their coastline, not because we wish to increase tensions but simply because freedom of navigation is a principle which Britain and its allies will always defend,” Hunt added.

Behnam Ben Taleblu, a senior fellow at the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, said the Trump administration will need to find unity with Europe on maritime security.

“It’s imperative for the U.K. to put forward it’s plan, which I think we’re still fully waiting on, and then have Washington do everything it can, not to co-opt that plan, but to make sure when it comes to maritime security that there is no transatlantic gap as there is on the JCPOA,” Taleblu said, using the acronym of the official name for the nuclear deal.

“It is going to have to require more hardware in the region, it’s going to have to require shadowing commercial vessels, it’s going to have to require shows of force against Iran,” he added. “But nothing would do that better than a multinational show.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First confirmed case of COVID-19 in Canyon

The Amarillo Area Public Health has confirmed 1 case of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Canyon.

"Due to sensitive information we are not able to share details regarding this case," the city said in a statement.

On Monday, Canyon Mayor Gary Hinders hosted a Facebook Live giving details of Canyon’s response to COVID-19 Status Level Red, which is aligned with the City of Amarillo and new Amarillo Public Health guidance.

Effective immediately, Amarillo Public Health has updated its coronavirus (COVID-19) Level to RED. This is the highest alert level, indicating there are widespread confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Amarillo and the surrounding area.

Hinders issued stay at home guidelines, that went into effect tonight, (March 30) at 11:59 pm and will be in place at least through Monday, April 13, 2020.

"We ask that residents stay at home except for outings essential to their own health, safety, and welfare and that of their family members," the city said.

Under these guideline…

Grocery stores impacted by COVID-19 outbreak

With the continued spread of COVID-19, many grocery stores throughout the area have been facing changes in operations as well as economic impacts.

Nancy Sharp, manager of communications and community engagement for the United “family,” which includes all Llano Logistics, RC Taylor, United Express, Amigos, Market Street and United Supermarkets, said COVID-19 has many people doing some fear-driven, panic-type buying, causing a significant increase in traffic in stores and people purchasing items.

The closure of dining establishments has also impacted sales as more people are cooking at home, which Sharp said has provided an increase to grocery stores across the country. The increase in traffic has also increased the amount of people who are working in the stores and the need for additional cleaning.

“We are cleaning multiple times a day, multiple surfaces. And so that has definitely increased the number,” Sharp said. “We're restocking several times a day; that also has increased th…

White House projects between 100,000 and 240,000 American deaths from coronavirus

President Trump's top health advisers said Tuesday that models show between 100,000 and 240,000 Americans could die from the novel coronavirus even if the country keeps stringent social distancing guidelines in place.

Without any measures to mitigate the disease's spread, those projections jump to between 1.5 and 2.2 million deaths from COVID-19.

The models, which were displayed at a White House press briefing Tuesday, underpinned Trump's decision to extend social distancing guidelines to the end of April.

Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus task force coordinator, explained the data, urging the public to steel for difficult weeks ahead while expressing hope that the efforts would reduce the spread of the coronavirus. 

“There’s no magic bullet, there’s no magic vaccine or therapy. It’s just behaviors,” Birx said, adding that it would be those behaviors that could change “the course of the viral pandemic.”

Second COVID-19 case confirmed in Canyon

The Amarillo Area Public Health has confirmed a second positive case of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Canyon. Due to sensitive information the City of Canyon is not provided details on any cases.

Last week, Mayor Gary Hinders hosted a Facebook Live giving details of Canyon’s response to COVID-19 Status Level Red, which is aligned with the City of Amarillo and new Amarillo Public Health guidance.

Effective immediately, Amarillo Public Health has updated its coronavirus (COVID-19) Level to RED. This is the highest alert level, indicating there are widespread confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Amarillo and the surrounding area.

Hinders issued stay at home guidelines, that went into effect March 30 at 11:59 pm and will be in place at least through Monday, April 13, 2020.

"We ask that residents stay at home except for outings essential to their own health, safety, and welfare and that of their family members," the city said.

Under these guidelines, all businesses, except those essenti…

50 children may have been exposed to COVID-19 at Amarillo daycare

Friday morning, City of Amarillo’s Public Health Director, Casie Stoughton, confirmed that 50 children may have been exposed to COVID-19 at an Amarillo daycare.

A child enrolled at Imagination Station Child Development Center has tested positive for COVID-19. All of the exposed children have been placed under quarantine by the City of Amarillo until at least April 10.

The daycare said it will comply with public health guidelines and plans to reopen next week.

"We will do a floor-wall-ceiling and every thing in between cleaning. We will re-open Monday morning to the families who have not been quarantined by the Public Health Department.

"Being essential workers isn’t an easy job. We are placed on the frontlines with nothing more than hand sanitizer and prayers.

"Also with being an essential worker we risk being the ones with the initial exposure. We have all made sacrifices for each other because when you feel a calling on your life you don’t back down in the face of ad…