Breaking News

Report: Accused Texas Tech shooter was questioned about stolen gun by police before deadly shooting of Texas Tech officer

Sources have told KCBD TV in Lubbock, Texas that the Lubbock Police Department made contact with accused Texas Tech shooter Hollis "Reid" Daniels Monday morning concerning a terrorist threat and the report of a stolen firearm.

Daniels was questioned by Lubbock police officers during a traffic stop. Officers made a request to search Daniels' vehicle, but he refused consent. After further discussion, officers determined that they did not have enough evidence or probable cause to search Daniels' car.

Later in day on Monday, Texas Tech police received a tip that a student was acting irrational and may be armed with a weapon. Texas Tech officers then made a student welfare check on Daniels at his dorm room.

Upon entering the suspect’s room, officers found evidence of drugs and drug paraphernalia. Officers brought Daniels to the police station for standard debriefing.

“During this time, the suspect pulled a gun and mortally shot an officer,” Texas Tech Police Department Chief Kyle Bonath said. “The suspect fled on foot and later apprehended by TTPD near the Lubbock Municipal Coliseum.”

According to an arrest warrant for Daniels, the Texas Tech freshman admitted to killing a university police officer on Monday night. Daniels told arresting officers that he was the one who "shot their friend" and that he did "something illogical."

Daniels was arrested for capital murder on the Texas Tech campus around 90 minutes after the shooting took place. He is currently being held in the Lubbock County Jail on a $5 million dollar bond.

The murdered Texas Tech officer was identified as 48 year old Floyd East Jr.

East began his career with the Texas Tech Police Department on December 1, 2014 as a guard at the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center in El Paso, Texas. While working as a guard, Officer East attended the El Paso Community College Law Enforcement Academy to obtain his Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) Basic Peace Officer license. He subsequently graduated from the Police Academy on June 22, 2016. He transferred to the Texas Tech Police Department Lubbock campus on May 1, 2017 as a police officer, completing his Field Training Officer Program on August 31, 2017.

“The family of the officer is in the thoughts and prayers of the Texas Tech community,” Texas Tech President Lawrence Schovanec said. “I want to express my deep appreciation to the Texas Tech Police Department, Lubbock Police Department, Lubbock Sherriff’s Office, and other state and federal law enforcement officials for their response.”

Lubbock Police Chief Greg Stevens as scheduled a press conference for 9:30 a.m. on Thursday.

No comments