Charlie Gard, baby at center of end-of-life debate, has died

Terminally ill British infant Charlie Gard, whose parents' fight for his life drew worldwide attention, has died, according to a family spokesperson.

In a statement, his mother Connie Yates said: "Our beautiful little boy has gone, we are so proud of you Charlie."

Timeline of Charlie's case:

March 3, 2017: Justice Francis starts to analyse the case at a hearing in the family division of the High Court in London

April 11: Court says doctors can stop providing life-support treatment

May 3: Charlie's parents ask Court of Appeal judges to consider the case

May 23: Three Court of Appeal judges analyse the case

May 25: The Court of Appeal judges dismiss the couple's appeal

June 8: Charlie's parents lose their fight in the Supreme Court

June 20: Judges in the European Court of Human Rights start to analyse the case, after lawyers representing Charlie's parents make written submissions

June 27: Judges in the European Court of Human Rights refuse to intervene

July 3: The Pope and US President Donald Trump offer to intervene

July 4: The Vatican's children's hospital in Rome offers to take in Charlie

July 7: Great Ormond Street Hospital applies for a fresh hearing at the High Court

July 10: Charlie's parents return to the High Court and ask Justice Francis to carry out a fresh analysis of the case. Justice Francis says he will consider any new evidence.

July 17: Dr Michio Hirano, the US neurologist, travels to London to examine Charlie

July 21: Lawyer representing Great Ormond Street says Charlie's new scan makes for "sad reading"

July 22: Great Ormond Street says doctors and nurses have been subjected to abuse and received threatening messages

July 24: Charlie's parents say they will end their legal fight for his treatment and let him die

July 26: Deadline set for Charlie's parents and Great Ormond Street Hospital to agree how and when he will die

July 27: Justice Francis rules Charlie will be moved to a hospice and have his life support withdrawn "soon after" after an agreement to decide his end-of-life care was not reached

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.