Breaking News

Suspect in Finsbury Park Mosque attack identified as Darren Osborne

The man suspected of driving a van into a crowd of people outside a London mosque has been identified as Darren Osborne. Osborne is a 47-year-old father of four.

The vehicle hit pedestrians near Finsbury Park Mosque in north London as they left Ramadan night prayers at around midnight. One man died and 10 other people were injured in the incident on Seven Sisters Road.

London police are treating the incident as a terror attack. Witnesses described hearing Osborne shout: "I'm going to kill Muslims" and "I've done my bit".

Osborne was restrained by members of the public at the scene, with an imam from the nearby mosque protecting him from angry members of the public.

Detectives from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command are appealing for witnesses following the terror attack where a van collided with pedestrians in Seven Sisters Road, injuring eight people.

Police were called to Seven Sisters Road, Finsbury Park, on reports of a van colliding with pedestrians. Officers, who were in the immediate vicinity, responded instantly.

The attack unfolded while a man was receiving first aid from the public after after taken ill on Seven Sisters Road. Sadly he was pronounced dead at the scene. Inquiries are continuing to establish whether there is any link between his death and the attack.

The man suspected of driving the van was detained by members of the public at the scene.

Additional officers were deployed, including armed officers, and were at the scene within ten minutes.

Police declared the incident was being treated as a terrorist incident shortly afterwards.

London Ambulance Service confirmed that nine people were taken by ambulance to three London hospitals. Two others were treated for minor injuries at the scene.

Osborne was arrested for attempted murder and taken to a south London police station where he remains in custody. He has also been charged for the commission, preparation or instigation of terrorism including murder and attempted murder.

At this stage in the investigation, it is believed that the suspect acted alone but police are investigating all the circumstances leading up to the attack.

Searches are being carried out at a residential address in the Cardiff area.

Seven Sisters Road was extremely busy at the time of the attack and police are appealing for anyone who witnessed the attack to come forward.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu said: "Our thoughts are with all those affected by the incident at Seven Sisters Road and their families, friends and communities.

"This is being treated as a terrorist incident and is being investigated by the Counter Terrorism Command. The investigation is ongoing and we are working fast to know the full details of how and why this took place.

"All the victims were from the Muslim community and we will be deploying extra police patrols to reassure the public, especially those observing Ramadan.

"We are working hard to protect all communities and the public will see additional officers patrolling across the city and at Muslim places of worship. This was an attack on London and all Londoners. We should all stand together against extremists whatever their cause."

Police continue to review security across London, with a focus on all places of worship including mosques and Muslim community centers.

Communities can expect to see more uniformed police officers at many of these places as reassurance, as they have seen in other crowded places.

Local and senior police officers regularly meet with faith leaders and will continue to do so following this attack to hear local concerns and provide reassurance to communities.

Police are aware there are a number of events planned across London and the rest of the UK and continue to ensure that security plans are robust by working in partnership with all event organizers.

Anyone who witnessed the attack or who has any information that will assist the investigation is asked to contact police in confidence on 0800 789321. In an emergency always dial 999.

Anyone with images or footage from the incident is urged to upload it at the secure site

No comments